I love doing sugar work! Gum paste, or sugar paste as some call it, is very easy to make once you get the hang of it. With a little practice, you can learn to make your own beautiful flowers to decorate cakes for any occasion. The sky is the limit… just use your imagination! Kids of all ages just love to work with gum paste too. It’s almost like playing with play dough, but you can eat the creations you make with gum paste, which makes it even more fun!
Yield: One pound of Gum Paste
- In large Bowl combine 3 cups of icing sugar with Gum-Tex. Make a well in the center.
- Dissolve glucose or corn syrup in warm water and pour into the well of sugar and gum-tex.
- Mix until well blended.
- Place mixture in a plastic bag, remove air and seal tightly.
- Let rest overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Knead remaining 1 cup of icing sugar into gum paste as required to make a soft, pliable and non-sticky dough.
- Store in an airtight container and plastic bag until ready to use.
Like I mentioned above, get creative. Have some fun making all kinds of cake decorations using your own homemade gum paste. Next week we will take a look at creating some flowers using gum paste.
- 4 cups of Icing (Confectioner’s) Sugar
- 1 tbsp of Wilton Gum-Tex
- 1 heaping tbsp of Glucose or White Corn Syrup
- 4 tbsps of Warm Water (100°F)