This is a very easy and versatile recipe. Make it with any kind of pasta or grated cheese. Substitute the lean ground beef for any other ground meat or ground poultry. It freezes nicely and is always a hit at any pot luck or get-together.
Yield: Large Casserole
- Cook two cups of dry macaroni according to package directions and then strain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven until thoroughly heated.
- Add the ground beef to the dutch oven to cook. Break up the ground beef as it cooks.
- Add the minced garlic with the ground beef. This will get the flavors out of the garlic while you are frying the ground beef.
- When your meat is approximately 3/4 cooked, add the green pepper, onion, celery and mushrooms. Stir the vegetables into the meat.
- Add the salt, pepper, parsley and oregano and stir to mix.
- Place the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to about half heat or a little lower. Let this cook for about five minutes to sweat the vegetables and let them release their flavor into the goulash.
- Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes to the meat and vegetables. Stir to mix together and let this heat until it bubbles on medium heat. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cooked macaroni and mix well.
- Grease a large casserole dish. Transfer the goulash to the casserole dish.
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Place the goulash in the oven to cook and reduce a little further.
- After it has reduced down in size, top with cheese to taste. If you don’t like a lot of cheese you can always use less.
- Place in the oven under the broiler to melt the cheese. It’s done when the cheese turns a nice golden brown color.
- 2 tbsps of Olive Oil
- 1 lb of Lean Ground Beef (can use other ground meat)
- 4 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 cups of Dry Macaroni
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of Celery
- 4 ounces of Mushrooms
- 1 and 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1/2 tsp of Pepper
- 1 tbsp of Dried Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp of Dried Oregano, chopped
- 680 mL jar of Tomato Sauce
- 796 mL can of Diced Tomatoes
- 350g of Cheddar Cheese, shredded (or your choice of cheese)
- Optional: Parmesan Cheese, shredded