For many years, Saturday night was traditionally “Baked Bean Night” in many homes and still is. This is a very easy and economical dish to prepare which is always well received at pot lucks as well. It’s nutritious and delicious. Leave out the meat, if you wish to make these a vegetarian dish.
Yield: 6 cups
- Sort and wash beans. Soak beans overnight in a large saucepan with plenty of water.
- In the morning, drain beans, discard water and rinse. Cover with fresh water and bring to a boil uncovered. Simmer beans for ½ hour to 45 minutes or until tender. (Beans simmered too long will become mushy!! Remove a bean from the pot, blow on it and if the skin splits, they are ready).
- Drain beans and place in a casserole dish.
- Add remaining ingredients to beans and cover with water.
- Bake, covered in preheated 300°F oven for 4-6 hours. Add water during cooking if necessary.
- Uncover during last half hour of baking.
- This recipe may also be prepared in a slow cooker. Just follow the same instructions and place in a slow cooker instead of a casserole dish. Cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- 1 lb (454 g) of Bag Dried Beans (Navy beans, Yellow Eyed Beans, or your favourite kind of dried beans)
- 2 tsps of Dried and Ground Mustard
- 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar, lightly packed
- 2/3 cup of Molasses
- 1/4 tsp of Pepper
- 1/4 lb of Salt Pork or Bacon (optional)
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp of Salt (omit if using salt pork)